Apr 20, 2018

What is a Chakra? What is the Chakra Healing Series?

A chakra is an energy wheel used for healing in the Vedic tradition. There are 7 wheels, or energy centers, along the spine which are the most common. There are many energy points in the body, but these 7 are the ones we focus on to heal the astral, or energetic body. It's always a good practice to check in with these centers, as energy can become stagnant in one area, or chakra. I tend to do chakra meditations, but felt it was time to reconnect with art and work on the chakras as well. I will be creating a 7 page chakra journal, or series for the next 7 weeks. It's a great time to try something new, and art has always been one of my favorite ways to express myself. If you would like to join me, grab a sheet of paper, or a journal and let's get started!

In my journal, every prompt I do will be for one Chakra, therefore the page will be monochromatic, to a certain extent. I want to give as little direction as possible and color is very important to each chakra. At the end we will have 7 pages, and these pages can be used as a method of meditation. It is up to you how to house them. I oftentimes frame my pages, which allows me to display them and change them whenever I feel necessary. You can even put them in a binder, or even better, use a playing card! That way you can carry them around and use them as necessary during the day. I digress, do what you like, in any size, and in any medium. It is up to you, and for you, so make it special.

Here are the tools I am using to balance my Muladhara.

Color: RED. I've been trying to meditate on the color red while focusing on the root area, or base of the spine.
Mantra/Meditation: Lam. I have been chanting this Bija Mantra. Here's a video for proper pronunciation.
Music: I'm listening to Steven Halperin's "Chakra Suite". I basically listen to the whole CD, and the root chakra on repeat for a while.
Asanas: I'm doing butterfly pose, squat leading into chair, and pelvic rotations. Please note I have a regular yoga and meditation practice and I've incorporated these things into it, and have substituted others. Feel free to use any of these things with which you are familiar and comfortable. Perhaps even become curious, be like a child and feel.
Art Prompt: Use one of the 3 affirmations below to feature on your "page", and use the color RED.

- I trust in the power of life.
- I feel safe and at home in my body.
- I am sustained and nourished by nature.
Choose whichever speaks to you.

Head on over to my IG to take a look at my journal page and explanation of my process. If you decide to join me, I would love to see your creations!!!! Tag #ChakraHealingSeries so I can peruse and be inspired by your perspective.

Namaste